Concealed Weapon Permits
Online Concealed Weapon Permit Forms
Do not sign the application upon completion. All applications for pistol permits
must be signed in front of Sheriff's Office personnel.
files below are in .pdf format and can be opened using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
New Applications (Complete all Five Forms)
Renewal Applications (Complete all Five Forms)
Location and Hours of Operation
Application for a concealed weapon permit takes place on the 2nd floor (main entrance)
of the Sheriff’s Office Administration Building located at 120 West Third Street
in downtown Winston-Salem.
In an effort to increase efficient services to the citizens of Forsyth County,
a limited number of handgun permits will be processed per day.
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 am - 11:30 am
New Application - $90.00 + $5.00 Notary Fee (includes fingerprint fee)
Renewal Application - $75.00 + $5.00 Notary Fee
Duplicate - $15.00
Method of Payment
Cash Only (division does not maintain funds to make change)
- Must apply in person.
- Must be able to properly complete application process.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must provide current/valid identification in the form of either a N.C. Driver's
License or N.C. State Identification Card.
- Must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship if born outside the United States.
- Must be a resident of Forsyth County for a minimum of 30 days.
- Must provide a list of previous addresses within the past 20 years. Your current
address must be listed first.
- Must have successfully completed an approved firearms training course and provide
the original certificate with application – Firearms Safety Certificate (valid from
one year of issue date).
- If discharged from the military, must provide a copy of your DD-214 which indicates
an Honorable Discharge.
- Must authorize Mental Health background check.
- Must pass criminal history background check.
- Must provide complete set of legible fingerprints (taken at time of application).
- Must be eligible to own, posses or receive a firearm under the provisions of State
or Federal Law. See N.C. Firearm Laws.
Processing may take up to 45 days after the mental health background check is completed.
If the application for a permit is denied, the applicant will be notified in writing,
stating the grounds for denial, within 45 days. An applicant may appeal the denial,
revocation, or non-renewal of a permit by petitioning the Chief District Court Judge.
The Permits Unit does not provide application status over the phone. Once the permit
is approved, the applicant will be contacted via phone. Applicant must provide proper
identification when permit is picked up.
- Permit applications are taken under oath and notarized. False or fictitious information
provided during the application process may cause the applicant to be criminally
- Permit is valid for a period of 5 years.
- Renewal of existing Permit must be submitted 30 days prior to expiration date. Failure
to renew an existing permit prior to the 30 day expiration date will result in providing
new Firearms Safety Certificate.
- If a permit is lost or stolen, the applicant must immediately notify the Permits
Unit in person and sign an affidavit. A duplicate card will be initiated at the
fee listed above.
- When a change of address occurs, applicant must notify the Permits Unit in person
within thirty days. There is no fee incurred for this process, unless the individual
requests a duplicate permit. If a duplicate permit is not obtained, the Change of
Address Form must be kept with existing permit at all times.
- Fingerprints are submitted to the SBI and FBI for criminal background checks, rejection
of fingerprints may result in the denial of an application.
- There is no fingerprint requirement on renewals if prints were submitted via AFIS
machine after June 30, 2001.
- State Law now allows individuals who possess a Carry Concealed Weapon Permit to
make handgun purchases without a gun permit (but it is also at the dealer's discretion
to require a purchase permit).
- For further assistance or questions, contact our office at email@example.com