Central Library Update
Posted on 9/19/2014
The Central Library will officially close on Wednesday, October 15th at 9pm to begin pre-construction for the Central Library renovation. During this time, the following services will be provided to the public:
- Computer Training Bridge classes and an open computer help lab will be located on the first floor at the Forsyth County Government Center - hours of operation 9 am -5 pm - Monday -Friday.
- North Carolina Room/Local History Room will offer limited services and resources and will be located on the second floor adjacent to the Register of Deeds offices at the Forsyth County Government Center- hours of operation 8 am - 5 pm -Monday -Friday.
- Library Administration will be located on the fifth floor at the Forsyth County Government Center- hours of operation 8 am to 5 pm Monday-Friday.
- Nine branch libraries located throughout Winston-Salem and Forsyth County will continue to serve the public. All branch libraries will operate 10 am to 9 pm Monday-Wednesday, 10 am to 6 pm Thursday and Friday and 10 am to 5 pm Saturday.
- Malloy-Jordan East Winston Heritage Center, Southside, and Reynolda Manor branch libraries will begin Sunday hours (1 pm to 5 pm) starting Sunday, November 2nd.
- The Children's Department will offer Music & Movement and Storytimes in select downtown locations. Additional Teen and Adult programs in the downtown area will announced at a later date on the Library website.
- Bestsellers, DVDs, and other popular library materials will be distributed to branch library locations. Library cardholders will continue to enjoy access to over 4 millions books through the Library’s participation in the NC Cardinal consortium shared collections.
- The number of public computers will be increased at each branch library location.
- Public meeting rooms will continue to be available at every branch library location.
- Programming for all ages will be enhanced at the branch libraries with Central Library staff offering additional programs for children and teens. On the Same Page, the Bookmarks Contest and other annual events will continue in new venues. The Library will collaborate with community partners to continue to offer Music & Movement and storytimes downtown.
Library staff will be assigned to branch libraries while Central is closed.
Ongoing updates on the renovation of Central Library will be found at the Library's website.