The current Lewisville Library is the newest and most up-to-date Forsyth County Public Library facility. It opened in 2007 thanks to a very supportive community. The new library building of 15,000 square feet acts as a focal point and continues to draw the community together to meet the needs of Lewisville citizens, all 17,000 of them. In fact, the annual door count is more than 60,000 visits. The Library’s manager is Candace Brennan. The staff is always ready to assist and provide reference and circulation services.
The Town of Lewisville provided land for a new building and grants for new computers. The Friends of the Lewisville Library have provided funds for children’s programs, furniture, and books. The Lewisville Historical Society maintains a collection of local history files for public use.
The Library has a monthly art show in its auditorium featuring art from many community groups. The Lewisville Garden Club maintains the Library’s outside flowers.
Library service in Lewisville began with a volunteer library established by the Lewisville Extension Homemakers Club in October 1945. Dorothy Moser Holder was the librarian. This library closed in 1953, and the Forsyth County Public Library’s bookmobile served the community for several years.
Forsyth County opened a library sub-branch on December 11, 1970. This half-time Branch was located on the side porch at the Sunny Acres Home, a local community center. Nell McBride managed the Branch for over 12 years along with assistance from Mary Bruce and Nancy Davis. The Library was moved to Lewisville Plaza Shopping Center in 1977. In 1983 Laura Robbins Weigand, the first full-time professional librarian was hired, hours were expanded, and the Branch became a full-service library. In 1984, after the neighboring business moved, the Library was expanded from 2,000 to 4,000 square feet.
In October 1984, Merrikay Everett Brown became the Library’s manager. Circulation continued to increase, and in 1996 Jenny Barrett was hired when a full-time children’s librarian position was added.
The drive for a larger library began with the incorporation of the Town of Lewisville in 1991. Town Mayors Hank Chilton, Bob Stebbins, and Mike Horn were leaders in this campaign. On July 27, 2006 a groundbreaking ceremony took place on the site for a new 15,000-square-foot Lewisville Branch Library building. The new facility opened on November 29, 2007.