Safe Haven is a foster care program for the pets of victims of domestic violence.
Founded in 2002 as a collaborative effort between Forsyth County Animal Control
and Family Services, Safe Haven provides free foster care for the pets of Family
Pets in homes with domestic violence are often targets of abuse. In several recent
studies of women entering shelters for protection against domestic violence, nearly
half reported that their pets had been threatened, injured, or killed by their partners.
Others reported that they stayed in an abusive situation because they were afraid
that their pets would be injured or killed when they left, and some women return
to an abusive situation because they fear for a pet left behind.
The Safe Haven program offers an option to domestic violence victims. Clients seeking
refuge with Family Services are provided with the relief of knowing their pet will
be cared for. Pets in the Safe Haven program will be provided with foster care at
no charge for a specific period of time in an anonymous and confidential foster
How to Get Help
Call Safe Haven Family Services Inc. at (336) 723-8125 to arrange temporary foster
How You Can Help the Safe Haven Program
Everyone needs protection from family violence. Here is how you can help:
- If you know someone in an abusive situation that won't leave because she or he has
no place to take a pet, tell that person about Safe Haven.
- Be aware that the cycle of violence affects all family members, including pets,
and that violence toward animals may be an early indicator of future violent behavior.
- Take animal cruelty seriously. It is not only a crime but also a warning of other
- Report animal cruelty to animal control.
- Share information about the Safe Haven program with others in the community including
veterinarians, teachers and school administrators, clergy, etc.
The Safe Haven program needs supplies to help care for animals in the program. View our Donations page.
Important Phone Numbers
Keep these phone numbers with your safety plan:
- Forsyth County Animal Shelter: 703-3647
- Winston-Salem Police Department: 773-7700
- Forsyth County Sheriff's Office: 727-2112
- Family Services Shelter & 24-hour Crisis Line: 723-8125
- Don't forget to keep the name and number of your veterinarian nearby.