GIS Day 2013 & Geography Awareness Week: November 17-23
Posted on 11/15/2013
Take part in Forsyth County’s Geography Awareness Week and GIS Day activities in the Government Center atrium (201 N. Chestnut St). This will be an exciting opportunity to see how local government uses advanced technology to do its job more efficiently.
The National Geographic Society has sponsored Geography Awareness Week since 1987 to promote geographic literacy in schools, communities and organizations. GIS Day is held on the Wednesday during Geography Awareness Week.
Geography touches everyone’s life in some way; nearly anything you can think of has some geographical component. Geographic Information Systems (GIS) are tools that allow us to better understand, interpret and visualize patterns, relationships and trends in data by examining them geographically.
MapForsyth is hosting GIS Day and inviting all to join us in this event – one of many celebrated across the globe – where GIS users from across the county and state will present examples of how they employ GIS.
Informational maps, posters and computer applications will be on display throughout the week, and on Wednesday the event’s participants will be on-site to discuss, educate and enlighten.
- GIS Day Schedule of Events (Wednesday, Nov. 20)
- Map Gallery (participants present): 10am – 11am
- GIS Presentations: 11am – 12pm
- Open Source GIS – Skip Daniels, Forsyth County MIS/MapForsyth, Chris Bradshaw, Forsyth County MIS
- GIS in Public Health - Ryan Harrison, Forsyth County Public Health, Patrick Daugherty, Forsyth County Public Health
- GIS/GPS Use for the Village of Clemmons – Emily Harrison, Village of Clemmons Stormwater
- Winston-Salem Sign Inventory Project – Joyce White, Winston-Salem Dept. of Transportation
- GIS Application Demonstrations: 12pm – 1pm
- Quantum GIS - Joseph Sloop, MapForsyth
- MobileSmith WebApp - James Shaw, Winston-Salem Information Systems
- Geography Awareness Week: November 17 – 23
- Forsyth GIS Day 2013: Wednesday, November 20, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Forsyth County Government Center, 201 N. Chestnut Street, Winston-Salem