Back to List
Firefighters Relief Fund Board of Trustees
General Statutes 58-84-1, 58-84-5, 58-84-10, 58-84-25, 58-84-30, 58-84-35 and 58-84-40 established the “Firemen’s Relief Fund”. The fund is based on a state tax that is applied to all premiums written on fire and lightning insurance policies covering property located within specific fire districts. These funds can be used to:
Blank LineBlank Line
- Safeguard firefighters from financial loss caused by sickness or injury contracted while in the performance of duties as a firefighter.
- Provide reasonable support for dependants of firefighters that are killed in the line of duty.
- Provide assistance to a destitute firefighter.
- Provide assistance to a firefighter to pay insurance dues.
- Provide supplemental retirement, workers compensation and other insurance and pension protection for firefighters.
- Provide educational benefits to firefighters and their dependants.
The primary purpose of the Board is to determine investment strategies for the fund and disbursements from the fund.
The Board consists of five members. Two members are appointed by the Forsyth County Fire and Rescue Association and serve a term of two years. Two members are appointed by the Forsyth County Board of Commissioners and serve a term of two years. One member is appointed by the North Carolina Commissioner of Insurance and serves at the pleasure of the Commissioner.
Mr. Fred W Beroth
Mr. Jerry B Lewis
Mr. Timothy L Whicker
||Deputy Fire Marshall||
The Board meets upon the call of the Chairman, a majority of the members, or the Fire Administrator.