The Forsyth County Public Library is pleased to offer a great collection of downloadable
media — audiobooks, ebooks, music, and video — through the North Carolina Digital
Library teamed with OverDrive.
Choose from many popular and informational titles to browse and check out from NCDL.
Titles are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week!
Look for this button on the NCDL website to get started,
when troubleshooting, or when you have questions such as:
If this is your first time using this service, please go through the Digital Books Tour.
Audiobooks, Music & Video
via Mobile App
The Library offers downloading workshops and open help labs at many locations. Visit
Computer Skill Building on the Computer Training Bridge website and scroll
to Downloading to see dates. Click on a date to see the location
and time and to register.
Facts About NCDL/OverDrive
- Books and music titles are available in WMA and MP3 audio formats. Adobe® EPUB and
PDF, Kindle Books, and Mobipocket, are the ebook formats. Videos are in WMV format.
- Check out up to four (4) titles at a time.
- Lending periods vary, but the majority of audiobooks check out for seven (7) days.
The majority of ebooks check out for 14 days. Click on the title to find out the
lending period and more details.
- Create a Wish List to remember titles you’d like to enjoy in
- Place up to five (5) holds at a time and be notified by email when they become available.
An email address is required for placing holds.
- You can renew titles that do not have holds requested.
- Use the Advanced Search to find books to check out immediately. Just select your
format and click the checkbox for “Only show titles with copies available.” Look
for the “always available” titles — no holds and no waiting!
- Audio titles can be burned to CDs with the publisher’s permission (shown when browsing).
- Returns happen automatically when time expires. You agree to delete the media files
when finished listening.
- Audiobooks cannot be returned early. Ebooks can be returned early.
- You can give ratings to the titles you borrow!
- You can purchase titles for personal use and also benefit the North Carolina Digital
Library through LibraryBIN (Buy It Now).
Come use our new Download Station! You can download media files yourself at this
dedicated computer in Computer Central on the first floor. Transfer and be on your
way with some great new audiobook titles to listen to or view and enjoy. Bring your
USB connecting cable!
- Many ebook readers have restrictions on the DRM (digital rights management) required
by publishers for borrowing materials. Be sure to check for compatibility (see the
- iPods are compatible with both WMA and MP3 audiobooks, but only MP3 files will download
to Mac® computers.
- Portable devices run on “firmware.” Go to the manufacturer’s website to update it,
- Players with a bookmarking feature are highly recommended.
Notes from FCPL
The Library’s public access computers cannot do the OverDrive functions. The Library
cannot provide technical support for the many possible configurations of personal
computers, software, or portable devices.
If a friendly librarian can assist you, please call 703-3007 or 703-3020 during
open hours or ask your librarian anytime.