Online Handgun Permit Forms (Complete all Three Forms)
Location and Hours of Operation
Application for a handgun permit takes place at the Sheriff’s Office Administration
Building located at 301 North Church Street in downtown Winston-Salem.
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 am - 11:30 am
Each permit is $5.00 per application.
Method of Payment
Cash or Credit/ATM/Debit cards are accepted.
- Must apply in person.
- Must be able to properly complete application process.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must provide current/valid identification in the form of either a N.C. Driver's
License or N.C. State Identification Card.
- Must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship if born outside the United States.
- Must be a resident of Forsyth County for a minimum of 30 days.
- Must provide a list of previous addresses for the past 20 years.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must not have any pending charges or unserved papers.
- Must pass criminal history background check.
- Must be eligible to own, posses or receive a firearm under the provisions of State
or Federal Law. See N.C. Firearm Laws. Deniable offenses may include but
are not limited to:
- Most assault charges
- Carry concealed weapons charges
- Numerous DWI charges and any DWI within the past 3 years
- Any felony conviction
- Any drug conviction in the past 5 years
- Any assault on law enforcement officer
- Any delay or resist/obstruct charge
Pistol permit applications will be processed within 14 business days. Applicants
will be contacted when permit is ready to be picked up. State law allows up to 14
days for issuance or denial of an application. Letters of denial are sent to the
applicants home address. Individuals receiving a denial of application letter may
appeal the denial to the Chief District Court Judge.
Applicant must provide proper identification when permit is picked up.
- Permit applications are taken under oath and notarized. False or fictitious information
provided during the application process may cause the applicant to be criminally
- Handgun permits are for the purpose of making a purchase of this type of weapon.
The permit does not entitle the applicant to carry a concealed weapon.
- Once the permit is issued to the applicant, the permit is valid for a period of
- Permit is not renewable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Permits Unit does not provide application status over the phone.
- For further assistance or questions, contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org