Online Handgun Permit Forms (Complete all Three Forms)
Location and Hours of Operation
Application for a handgun permit takes place on the 2nd floor (main entrance) of
the Sheriff’s Office Administration Building located at 120 West Third Street in
In an effort to increase efficient services to the citizens of Forsyth County,
a limited number of handgun permits will be processed per day.
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
8:30 am - 11:30 am
Each permit is $5.00 (up to 6 permits per application) plus a $5.00 notary fee per
Method of Payment
Cash Only (Permits Unit does not maintain funds to make change)
Number of Permits Allotment
Individuals may apply for up to 12 permits per calendar year and up to 6 permits
on each application. An exception may be made in writing directly to the Sheriff
for additional permits providing the Sheriff finds acceptable justification.
- Must apply in person.
- Must be able to properly complete application process.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must provide current/valid identification in the form of either a N.C. Driver's
License or N.C. State Identification Card.
- Must provide proof of U.S. Citizenship if born outside the United States.
- Must be a resident of Forsyth County for a minimum of 30 days.
- Must provide a list of previous addresses for the past 20 years.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Must not have any pending charges or unserved papers.
- Must pass criminal history background check.
- Must be eligible to own, posses or receive a firearm under the provisions of State
or Federal Law. See N.C. Firearm Laws. Deniable offenses may include but
are not limited to:
- Most assault charges
- Carry concealed weapons charges
- Numerous DWI charges and any DWI within the past 3 years
- Any felony conviction
- Any drug conviction in the past 5 years
- Any assault on law enforcement officer
- Any delay or resist/obstruct charge
Pistol permit applications will be processed within 3 to 5 business days. Applicants
will be contacted when permit is ready to be picked up. State law allows up to 30
days for issuance or denial of an application. Letters of denial are sent to the
applicants home address. Individuals receiving a denial of application letter may
appeal the denial to the Chief District Court Judge.
Once application is approved, the permit will be kept on file for pickup for a period
of 30 days from the application date. Thereafter, the permit expires. Applicant
must provide proper identification when permit is picked up.
- Permit applications are taken under oath and notarized. False or fictitious information
provided during the application process may cause the applicant to be criminally
- Handgun permits are for the purpose of making a purchase of this type of weapon.
The permit does not entitle the applicant to carry a concealed weapon.
- Once the permit is issued to the applicant, the permit is valid for a period of
- Permit is not renewable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Permits Unit does not provide application status over the phone.
- For further assistance or questions, contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org