Absentee Voting

  • Home /
  • Absentee Voting /
  • Absentee By-Mail Voting

Any voter registered in North Carolina, can request an absentee ballot. This type of absentee voting allows a voter, a near relative (“near relative” means spouse, brother, sister, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, mother-in-law, father-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, stepparent, or stepchild. § 163-230.2) or legal guardian, to request that an absentee ballot be sent to the voter by mail. The voter may vote the ballot and return the ballot by mail, in person at the Forsyth County Board of Elections office or during the Early Voting. If returned by mail, the ballot must be received at the Forsyth County Board of Elections office by 7:30 pm on Election Day.

If a voter, due to disability or illiteracy, is unable to complete the absentee ballot request form, the voter may receive assistance in completing the request form from an individual of the voter’s choice. No one with Power of Attorney is allowed to sign the request form unless they are the voter’s near relative or the voter’s verifiable legal guardian. A completed and signed absentee ballot request form must be received by the Forsyth County Board of Elections office no later than 7:30 pm on the Tuesday before the election (§ 163-230.1(a)). A voter with an illness, physical disability, their near relative or verifiable legal guardian, may request an absentee ballot after 7:30 pm on the Tuesday prior to the election, but not later than 7:30 pm on the day before the election (§ 163-230.1(a1)).

North Carolina Absentee Ballot Portal

Absentee Ballot Request Form for 2024

Absentee Ballot Request Form for 2024 (Spanish)

Track my Absentee Ballot

Accessible Absentee By-Mail Voting for Blind and Visually Impaired Voters

2024 General Election Absentee By-Mail Voting Statistics

Absentee and Early Voting Statistics Archive

Hand deliver or mail your Absentee Ballot request form to: Forsyth County Board of Elections - Forsyth County Government Center (201 N. Chestnut Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101-4120)

Active duty military members, their dependents, and U.S. citizens living abroad may request an absentee ballot the same way as other registered voters. They may also apply to register and vote through special programs for military and overseas voters. Military and overseas voters may register and vote through the Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) or the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB)

Military and Overseas Voting

FPCA (Federal Post Card Application)

FWAB (Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot)

Multipartisan Assistance Team Information

Assistance for Voters in Care Facilities

Be a MAT Team Member

Request a MAT Team Visit