The Paddison Memorial Friends of the Library is a chartered non-profit organization of volunteers who have joined together to promote the development of programs, resources and services that enhance the library as an informational, educational and cultural center for the community it serves. Friends of the Library help raise funds for special books and periodicals as well as computer hardware and software, and more such as:
- Furnishings including: tables, chairs, shelving, book carts, check-out desk, secure after-hours book drop, and more
- Sponsorship of special children’s programs
- Sponsorship of the Noon Book Club
- Working as volunteers in the library
- Providing scholarships for library science students in degree programs
- Conducting fund raising activities such as sales of tote bags, T-shirts and note cards and offerings of donated books.
The Paddison Memorial Friends group has been helping the library for decades and received its non-profit status in the 1980’s.
The Friends are a dynamic group interested in working with the diverse population of Paddison Memorial and the many patrons of the Paddison Memorial Library. Did you know this branch has the most registered users (28,589) of all Forsyth County branch libraries outside of the main (Central) library in Winston-Salem?
In January 2009,
- Paddison Memorial, had a circulation of over 23,000 (#3 in the system), which was up 9.9%
- Computer use at the Paddison Memorial library was up 5.4%
- The number of public programs increased over 33%
- The door count was fourth highest with 11,480 people visiting in January
This past year we welcomed our new librarian, Carolyn Woods, revised the ongoing book "sale" system, upgraded the overnight book return caddy, purchased a children’s activity center and early literacy station, ordered a new table and chairs as well as book trucks and a computer desk, created a work area for wireless internet access users, and implemented a staff debit card system to support library staff supply needs.
2009 is an opportunity for Paddison Memorial’s Friends of the Library. We will continue our financial support for the Library as we look for ways to grow our membership activities and base
Taxes alone do not cover all of the operating costs of public libraries. They cover only the basic expenses of operating a library. Entering the usage numbers for January, the library use value calculator * returns a value of $1,033,884.00 for the circulation, reference, program, and computer services provided by the Paddison Memorial branch for its patrons.
In the most recent fiscal year, Paddison Memorial’s FOL had deposits of over $14,000 primarily from money received from donated books, a grant, and membership dues. Disbursements were almost $10,000, with 70% of the funds going for books, books on tape, and children’s programs.
There are lots of opportunities to volunteer with the Paddison Memorial Branch Library . . .
- Book Sales
- Membership Drives
- Special Children's Programs
- Library Exhibits
- Noon Book Club
- Fund Raising Projects
- Helping with the Annual Banquet and other events
- Executive Board Leadership
- And a host of other activities
We Need Your Support
If you have the time, we encourage you to volunteer. If your time is limited, we still need your support. Your tax-deductible donation helps us to enhance the resources of our library.
How can you become a Friend of the Library?
It’s easy to become a Friend of the Library. Just click the link below to print and complete the membership form, then mail it in or drop it off at the library’s check out desk. Membership levels start as low as $5. Membership terms run from April through March. All members are invited to the annual Friends of the Library banquet, held in April. Members may also register for the Friend’s email newsletter, informing them of upcoming events.