Concealed Handgun Permit Forms
Do not sign the application upon completion. All applications are taken under oath
and notarized and must be signed before a Notary Public or Forsyth County Sheriff's
files below are in .pdf format and can be opened using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
New Applications (Print all 4 forms)
Application for a concealed handgun permit takes place in person at the Forsyth County Public Safety Center located at 301 N. Church Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101.
Hours of Operation:
Walk-ins – Residents are served on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday (excluding Holidays)
8:30 am – 3:30 pm
– Residents may select the preferred available date and time for an appointment by clicking the “View Online Calendar” below.
View Online Calendar
New Application - $95.00 (includes notary fee and fingerprinting fee)
Method of Payment
Cash or Credit/Debit cards are accepted.
*A processing fee will be charged by the vendor for each transaction.*
Processing Information for Concealed Handgun Permit
Processing may take up to 45 days after the background check is complete and all
mental health returns are received. This process generally takes 90 days from
the date of application. If the application for a permit is denied, the applicant
will be notified in writing, stating the reason for the denial. An applicant may
appeal the denial, revocation, or non-renewal of a permit by petitioning the Chief
District Court Judge.
The Permits Unit does not provide application status over the phone. Any applicant
wanting to check the status after 90 days from application date of a permit may request an update by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by appearing in person at the Sheriff's Office.
Once the permit is approved, the applicant will be contacted by an auto dialer via the phone number provided at time of your application. Applicant must provide proper identification when permit is picked up.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must provide current/valid identification in the form of either a N.C. Drivers License or N.C. Identification card showing your Forsyth County address.
- Must provide a list of previous addresses within for past 20 years or until the
age of 18. Your current address must be listed first.
- Must have successfully completed an approved N. C. Concealed Handgun Training Course and provide
the original certificate with application.
- Sworn Law Enforcement Officers and Armed Security personnel may exempt the CHP class
requirement by bringing in a copy of their most recent qualification scores signed
by either their range officer or direct supervisor.
- Must provide complete set of legible fingerprints (taken at time of application).
- Permit is valid for a period of 5 years.
- Renewal of existing permit can be submitted up to 90 days before the expiration
date. Failure to renew an existing permit prior to the expiration date may result
in requiring a new firearms safety certificate.
- When a change of address occurs, applicant must notify the Permits Unit
within thirty days. There is no fee incurred for this process, unless the individual
requests a duplicate permit. If a duplicate permit is not obtained, the Change of
Address Form must be kept with existing permit at all times.
- Fingerprints are submitted to the SBI and FBI for criminal background checks; rejection
of fingerprints may result in the denial of an application.
- There is no fingerprint requirement on renewals if prints were submitted electronically
via AFIS machine after June 30, 2001.
- State Law allows individuals who possess a Concealed Handgun Permit to make handgun purchases without a handgun purchase permit (but it is also at the dealer's discretion to require a purchase permit).
- For further assistance or questions, contact our office at email@example.com