No youth under 18 years of age shall be employed by any employer in any occupation
without a youth employment certificate unless specifically exempted. Read the Labor Laws of N.C. regarding youth employment.
- Print a blank
Youth Employment Certificate (Work Permit).
- The youth should complete the top sections from "Name" down through "Zip Code".
- The employer should complete the remaining sections from "Job Description" down
through "Area Code and Phone Number" and sign the form. *Note: Employer must appropriately
mark the "ABC On-premises Permit?" section.
- Obtain the signature of a parent, guardian, custodian, or person standing in place
of a parent as defined in 29 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 570.126. *Note: This
signature is not required for a youth who has been issued a final decree of emancipation
by a court of competent jurisdiction pursuant to Chapter 7B, Article 35 of the N.C.
- Take the completed certificate and two photocopies of the completed certificate
along with a "proof of age" document (birth certificate, driver's license, learner's
permit, state-issued ID, passport, etc.) to the first floor of the Department of
Social Services at 741 North Highland Avenue in Winston-Salem. Once the information
has been verified, the youth will be asked to sign the form in the presence of the
- Provide a copy of the "issued" certificate to your employer on or before the first
day of work. The employer is required to maintain this certificate on file.