Obtaining a Marriage License
A North Carolina Marriage License may be obtained from the Register of Deeds Office in any county
in North Carolina. The license is good for 60 days from the date of issue and a
ceremony can be held in any location within North Carolina. After the ceremony,
the license must be returned to the county that issued the license.
Marriage licenses issued today: Wednesday, April 16, 2014,
are valid through: Saturday, June 14, 2014.
Steps to Obtain a Marriage License in Forsyth County
- Applicants must complete a worksheet. This can be done online, or at the Register of Deeds Office. Completing the worksheet
online will save considerable
time in the office.
- See the sample worksheet for information
you will need to be able to complete the worksheet.
- Applicants must finish their application in person at the Register of Deeds Office.
If over 18 years of age and one applicant is unable to appear in person, the other
party to the marriage must appear in person on behalf of the applicant and submit
a sworn and notarized affidavit, along with original proof of age and social security number
for both parties. If the presenting party is not able to bring original proofs for the other party,
they may present notarized copies. Copies must include a notary statement, seal and signature
attesting to the authenticity. An Affidavit
in Lieu of Personal Appearance form
may be printed.
What You Need to do BEFORE Coming to Our Office AND what you need to BRING to our office
- Complete a marriage worksheet
online OR bring in all the information on this sample worksheet
- Bring in proof of US Social Security Number, if you are eligible for one.
Acceptable proof includes original US Social Security Card, tax form, bank statement
or other valid proof displaying the full number and name of the individual.
Those not eligible for a US Social Security Number must sign an Affidavit in our office
stating they are not eligible for the number.
- Bring in proof of AGE.
14 - 15
- Can marry ONLY in the case of pregnancy or birth of a child
- CERTIFIED copy of District Court Order
- CERTIFIED birth certificate
16 - 17
- CERTIFIED birth certificate
- Consent of a parent having full or joint custody – acknowledged before the Register
- Valid Photo ID of the person giving consent
18 - 20
CERTIFIED birth certificate
18 - 20 &
NO birth certificate
Driver’s license PLUS one of the following:
- Hospital or police record of birth
Name and birth date must be on these proofs. Without photo ID, TWO records must
Valid Photo ID with name and date of birth
- Bring Fee - $70. CASH OR MONEY ORDER ONLY. We do not accept checks or debit/credit cards.
- Divorced Applicants. If one or both applicants are divorced, the month and year of the final divorce
decree of the last divorce must be listed on the marriage worksheet. Copies of the decree are not
required. If unsure of date, please contact the Clerk of Court in the county where
the divorce was processed.
Spanish of what to bring with you.
- The hours for obtaining a marriage license in Forsyth County are between 8:00 am
and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. You must be in our
office before 4:30 pm. We do not issue marriage licenses after that time.
- A license may be used immediately
or at any time within 60 days from the date of issuance.
- If you plan to get married by a Magistrate, you must make an appointment.
Please call (336) 779-6319 between 8:00 - 9:00 am or 4:00 - 5:00 pm to schedule a
ceremony in Winston-Salem or Kernersville. Be sure to ask for directions to their offices.
- If you plan to obtain a marriage license in another North Carolina County, contact
them directly for current hours and requirements. Click here for a link to other NC Counties websites. Once
there, click on the map for a specific county’s contact information.