- By Erin McSpadden
- Posted Wednesday, July 6, 2016
4-H’ers Participate in 2016 District Activity Day
On a recent sunny, summer Saturday in June, 160 4-H members gathered at Yadkinville Elementary School for North Carolina North Central District’s 4-H Activity Day. Forsyth County was well-represented, with 12 members competing in the Presentation Competition, each of whom earned medals in their category and age group and will advance to the State competition in July.
4-H presentations use audio-visual aids and can include a demonstration, PowerPoint presentation, posters, and props. Often, they allow students to utilize problem-solving skills and encourage 4-H’ers to research topics in-depth. On District Activity Day, each student presented to a panel of 3 judges who are professionals in the student’s chosen category.
Through their presentations, 4-H’ers learn to organize their ideas in a logical manner and share what they have learned with confidence, poise, and intelligence. By practicing their public speaking skills in front of their peers and judges from their community, students become comfortable speaking to a diverse audience in a safe, non-judgemental space.
Additionally, two Forsyth County 4-H’ers, Shandi McDaniels and Reid Swann, competed in the Talent Competition. Both performers earned a blue ribbon, the highest honor available to competitors in the talent show. McDaniels was invited to encore her performance during the awards ceremony and received a standing ovation. As part of the talent portion of District Activity Day, Laurelyn Ridge competed in the Cecil and Leonard sketch comedy competition and earned a gold medal for her performance.
Photograph of Participants: from left to right
- Shandi McDaniel Blue Ribbon, Talent Show
- Grace Shipman Silver Medal, Open Class
- Laurelyn Ridge Gold Medal, Cecil and Leonard; Gold Medal, Foods & Nutrition
- Calleigh Wilson Gold Medal, Horse
- Luke Arrowood Gold Medal, Horticulture Production/Marketing
- Noah Crawford Gold Medal, Beef Char-Grill
- Ethan Cook Gold Medal, Forestry & Wildlife
- Alex Arowood Silver Medal, Forestry & Wildlife
- Spencer Cook Gold Medal, Arts & Communications
- David Winemiller Silver Medal, Open Class
- Blaise Gourley North Central District 4-H Council President-Elect
- Hope Arrowood Forsyth County Council Parlaimentarian
- Reid Swann Blue Ribbon, Talent Show
- BJ Hutchins Silver Medal, Arts & Communications
- Zech Crawford Gold Medal, Electric